Thursday, January 31, 2008

How I Became A Sheets: Part 1

Part One:
'If I only knew then what I know now'


It all began on a hot August night in 2001. I had just moved away from home to experience true ‘freedom’. (Minus the 11 pm curfew, strict RA, and chapel everyday…it was my first nibble of freedom.) I was an entering freshman at ACU, and I was loving every bit of it- all 3 days so far! I decided to room with one of my best friends from home,
sorry about the poor quality- it's a picture of a picture. scanner's broken.

and we were having the time of our lives! Staying up until crazy hours of the night, laughing about everything that happened, trying to figure out community bathrooms, rearranging and decorating our room, meeting our dorm neighbors, and thinking nothing at all about studying for tests or the life decisions that we would have to make in the very near future.
Oops, back to the hot August night….
We were in the middle of ACU’s Welcome Week. This week was designed to help students meet new friends, have fun, and fall in love with ACU. On one particular night, a band (that I absolutely LOVED) was going to be playing. I was so excited about this, and I had been looking forward to it all week! The girls’ dorms had been a buzz with news of this band performing. You see…most of their songs are sappy love songs, and a girl can’t love too many sappy love songs, right?!
The mall area of ACU was packed with freshman. Everyone was milling around trying to meet new people or stay close to those they already knew. B (my roommate) and I decided to sit down at the back where the grass meets the sidewalk. There were some new friends of ours that were there, and we safely sat next to them to enjoy the concert we were all looking forward to.

‘The Band’ had not gone on stage yet. Instead, there was a band of older ACU students who were opening the night. As I sat and talked with B (probably about social injustices, books to read, or holding each other accountable to studying…not talking about boys…), the band on stage was entertaining, but we were so ready to hear what our ears had been waiting for all day, all week, all month!

The cool thing is…I actually have a photo from this hot August night. I never knew this picture was taken. In fact, I never saw this picture until just a few days ago.



You see, this photo was taken by Zach- on stage- with his band.
And that is me, in the back, where the grass meets the sidewalk.

Can't find me?!?! Here, I will show you...





yep, that's me!


…TO BE CONTINUED.


post signature

11 comments:

Cassie said...

So far, I love it! And I teared up (I know...that's ridiculous) at your description of the dorm and how you had no idea what major life decisions you would be making in the near future...perfect summation of freshman year:)

Staci said...

Oh the memories of ACU Welcome Week! I remember lots of nights that we spent listening to Zach and the guys play their guitars and sing. I still remember they first time they played at the Bean Sprout during lunch...and of course the song about Mayo! lol

laura said...

hey! i'm in that picture too! that's funny. and i do remember also looking forward to hearing that band!

Z said...

I love it.

JENNY said...

How fun. I loved reading this and can't wait for part 2! I remember that evening as well. Great memories!

Sarah said...

Can't wait to hear more...

Allison said...

keep posting...what a fun story to share!

Anonymous said...

I love it, I love it! What happens next?

Sarah Cornett said...

haha...that is so cool! i can't wait to hear the rest of the story...even though i know most of it...i can't wait to hear it from you!

Rachel said...

what a fun story! I'm in that picture...ahhh Welcome Week...we had NO idea!

Kate said...

I love it that you're in that picture. So cool! That Welcome Week is the same time that Brandon and I met and started to like each other too. I can't wait for the next "installment" of your story!