Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Ode to Traveling

This past weekend was supposed to be the first weekend since the beginning of November that Zach and I could spend at home with no major events going we thought.

Friday began with a funeral in Ranger, TX for one of Zach's great uncles. It was fun to meet some of the extended Sheets family, but my favorite part of the day was getting to tour a Sikorsky S61 Helicopter. These things are amazing! Let me back up though-- Zach's dad flew into Eastland for the funeral, and when we took him back to the airport, they had these HUGE helicopters that are used to dump water on large fires. We wanted to look at one up close, so we started walking towards one, and the pilot came out and told us we could go inside and look! These machines can hold up to 25 people, they can suck up about 1000 gallons of water in 28 seconds, and the pilot said it "handles like a Porche"! He even let us sit in the two pilot seats, and he showed us all the cool buttons and stuff. Anyways, props to these guys for trying to save homes and put out some of the fires that are ravaging this area.

Moving on to Saturday. We got to sleep in, and then I cleaned the house for most of the morning & took down Christmas lights. Around 3 pm, we got a phone call from Zach's mom reminding us that his cousin's wedding reception was that night at 7:30 pm in Amarillo (5 hr drive from Abilene). We felt really bad because we kind of forgot about it, but at the same time, there was no way we were going to make it to Amarillo (plus we just wanted to actually enjoy a weekend at home). Well, a few minutes later we got a call from Zach's dad telling us that he would fly down to Abilene, pick us up, and fly us to Amarillo. All of the sudden, our pleasant evening at home turned into a frantic frenzy of showering, finding formal clothes, and trying to figure out how we were going to get back to Abilene! By 5pm his dad was in Abilene. We flew to Amarillo, got there right at 7:30, enjoyed the reception, and we were on the road back to Abilene by 10 pm. We got home at around 2 am (after being pulled over 3 times!!! His sister's car had a headlight out...those cops don't miss a beat!), and I had to be at church around 8:15 am for a Ministry Fair. It was crazy.

Sometimes things just don't work out the way you have them planned. This was one of those weekends.

This coming weekend, we are going to Missouri to visit my Memaw and Papaw for our late Christmas. I wish I could see them more often, but it's a long drive. There will be lots of good food, long 42 games, 1000 piece puzzles, looking at old pictures, and some great Police Academy movies (for some reason, they own all of them!).

Look at them! How cute are they??!

1 comment:

Jen Perkins said...

so cute kara...